Friday, March 22, 2013

Snakes and ladders?


          "Then A and I were in darkness. I followed him through a shining narrow passage. Then there was an opening like a window into a “night sky” and we went out through this window into the dark heavens where stars were visible. Then we went up a spiral sort of staircase led by a small light. Then we fell down into the darkness, and we talked about this a bit, that this was a bottomless abyss and yet it held no terror. He asked me why I was not afraid and I said because it is God. I was happy. Then a light began to shine through the “valley” below and to the right of us. Then there was a rocky  cliff beside us and we started to climb up it. Now there was a dark blue sky and a bright sun shining on us as we climbed. It was quite a stiff climb but very beautiful. We agreed that falling through the dark was easy. Climbing through the light  required effort. Then we started to climb up through a narrow crevass and the sun was shining down brightly through the crevass, and we were climbing towards the light. Then a lid came down on it and we were in gloom. A said, “The light is still there but you can’t climb into it in this life. It’s still there.” But I was still to climb towards it. I understood.
          Then he said it was time to return, and we descended, and he said I should think about these things. I should remember it is easy and fast falling down through the dark, and hard work climbing up through the light. This darkness was the weepy things of life, and the night in contrast to the day. We are to know the darkness to its’ depths, but climb up the bright and shining cliff, or passage, (with its’ window looking out into the night where stars are visible) to the light."
           "A Spiritual Diary"

No comments: