Thursday, April 11, 2013

Journeys

The clock in the hall struck ten
as I climbed up the stairs to my bed,
and I thought of the thousands of times
I had slept and got up to its’ chime. 

My father was born in this house
and Grandfather lived here too,
and my daughter just then in her sweet sixteenth year
had grown up to the tick of that clock. 

We all reached our prime and declined
while its’ fingers pressed on round its’ face,
but what was its’ native connection
with the grey hairs adorning my head?

What had it even to do
with the rolling and vast universe?
If I marched now away through the stars
in my trendy seven-light-year-stride boots
my body would age, I am told,
with its’ personal velocity rate.
The planets would revolve many more times
to each new grey hair on my head.
If I carried the clock on my back
its’ tick would keep time with my boots. 
A super-giant star blooms and fades
to a rather deep scary black hole,
and a rose in the park flares and dies,
each fulfilling its’ own given nature.
Fruition, decay, are the law
which we cannot escape or reverse.
 
But that’s not the end of the story.
The decomposed matter remains
arranging itself in new forms
in an orderly cycle of birth out of death
and recomposed life from the dead.

No comments: